The Global Phones are phones with CDMA and GSM modems but that are usually configured to primarly work on CDMA network and at least to be able to call on GSM network.
If you have a Global Phone for CDMA Network and you want correctly use it on GSM Network than you have to edit the build.prop file to fully enable the GSM(2G)/UMTS(3G) and you have to set APNs to use data.
Correctly editing the build.prop you will unlock the hidden menù Testing if it is locked as for Verizon phones, and you will be able to manage the baseband and you will enable on every Rom these advanced gsm features:
- GSM/UMTS -> [GSM auto (PRL)] in Testing menù
- 2G/3G Data
- USSD Code
- Call Forwarding
- Testing menù accessible dialing the code *#*#4636#*#*
with this patch:
- your SIM GSM will be detected by roms CDMA oriented
- you will enable the GSM settings in the roms that do not include GSM settings
- you will add the APNs for the GSM
- you will enable the GSM in AOSP rom that natively only support the CDMA
- you will solve the problem "Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped." in AOSP roms that do not natively provide GSM
- you will solve the missing request PIN problem, the no signal problem and the no sending sms problem in AOSP roms that do not natively provide GSM
To fully enable the GSM you must edit the build.prop with correct settings, here the principal lines that should be edited:
#telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice= persist.radio.ap.phonetype=1 ro.telephony.default_network=3 ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc=0 # Motorola GSM Settings #ro.mot.lte_on_cdma=
and here a complete list on what the patch changes in the build.prop:
# General GSM Settings #cdma_ril.libpath= #DEVICE_PROVISIONED= #lte_ril.libpath= #lte_ril.netcfg_to persist.radio.ap.phonetype=1 #persist.radio.eons.enabled= #persist.radio.lte.mm.disable= #persist.radio.mode_pref_nv10= #persist.radio.vzw.cdma.mdn= persist.ril.features=0x102 persist.ril.modem.mode=2 persist.ril.mux.noofchannels=10 #ril.rat= #ril.subscription.types= #ro.cdma.data_retry_config= #ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha= #ro.cdma.home.operator.isnan= #ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric= #ro.cdma.homesystem= #ro.cdma.nbpcd= #ro.cdma.otaspnumschema= #ro.cdma.subscribe_on_ruim_ready= #ro.cdma.subscription= ro.com.android.dataroaming=false ro.config.multimode_cdma=0 ro.config.multimode_cdma=false #ro.config.svdo= #ro.config.svlte1x= ro.radio.networkmode=enable #ro.ril.svlte1x= #ro.telephony.default_cdma_sub= ro.telephony.default_network=3 ro.ril.def.preferred.network=3 persist.sys.report_gprs_as_edge=1 ro.gsm.data_retry_config=default_randomization=2000,max_retries=infinite,1000,1000,80000,125000,485000,905000 ro.gsm.2nd_data_retry_config=max_retries=1,15000 ro.telephony.get_imsi_from_sim=true ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc=0 ro.telephony.ril.config=writeaidonly,usevoicetechfordata ro.telephony.ril.v3=writeaidonly,signalstrength #telephony.lte.cdma.device= #telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice= #telephony.lteOnGsmDevice= #telephony.rilV7NeedCDMALTEPhone= #telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart= # Motorola GSM Settings #rild.libpath=/system/lib/moto-ril-multimode.so ro.mot.ds.fastdormancy.disable=true ro.mot.eri=0 ro.mot.hw.HAC=1 #ro.mot.lte_on_cdma= ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=0 ro.mot.phonemode.vzw4gphone=0 # European Settings ro.com.android.dateformat=dd-MM-yyyy ro.product.locale.region=GB # Database Settings ro.build.target_operator=OPEN ro.carrier=unknown ro.HorizontalBUA=false ro.HorizontalVVM=false ro.mot.build.customerid=rtanz ro.com.google.clientidbase.am=android-google ro.com.google.clientidbase.ms=android-google ro.com.google.clientidbase.yt=android-google
The most important setting is:
that sets the default network preference, here the legend:
0 WCDMA preferred
1 GSM only
2 WCDMA only
3 GSM auto (PRL)
4 CDMA auto (PRL)
5 CDMA only
6 EvDo only
7 GSM/CDMA (PRL)
8 LTE/CDMA auto (PRL)
9 LTE/GSM auto (PRL)
10 LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
11 LTE only
and here an explanation:
WCDMA preferred - The GSM phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 3G is favored more.
GSM only - The GSM phone is capable of using only 2G data communication. When the 2G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
WCDMA only - The GSM phone is capable of using only 3G data communication. When the 3G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
GSM auto (PRL) - The GSM phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 2G is favored more.
CDMA auto (PRL) - The CDMA phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 2G is favored more.
CDMA only - The CDMA phone is capable of using only 2G data communication. When the 2G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
EvDo only - The CDMA phone is capable of using only 3G data communication. When the 3G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) - The Global Phones are equipped with both GSM and CDMA capabilities. This setting appears to just have the phone attempt to stay connected to the data communication type that works the best.
Unknown - If none of the above fit or the phone is acting weird as far as connecting to the carrier, you will see your preferred network type is set to this.
To use a rom in GSM\UMTS we could also set ro.telephony.default_network to 0, 1 or 2 but we can't set it to 9 and use the LTE because in the USA the frequencies for the 4G are different from the rest of world.
To ensure the fully functioning of the GSM\UMTS the patch will automatically edit your build.prop with correct lines for your phone and will fully disable the CDMA and the LTE. To ensure the proper functioning of the data traffic the patch will add a correct list of GSM APNs for your Android version.
The patch will also make a backup of your original files and in in case of problems you can restore them simply reinstalling the patch.
The patch is persistent. If the patch is installed and you will update your rom without formatting /system then the patch will automatically edit your updated rom settings.
You can install the patch on every AOSP ROM, on every Stock Rom and on every Android version.
- version: 4.2.7
- last update: 25-04-2016
- development status: under active development
How to install\uninstall the patch:
- Copy the .zip file to the external memory or memory card
- Reboot your phone and enter on your custom recovery
- From the Install menu select the .zip file and instal withotut signature verification on your Rom
- To uninstall the patch and come back to original setting you have to install a second time the patch
Risk of briking:
- No one: during installation the installer checks everything is ok and stop installation in case of problem
- In case of problems after installation you can restore your settings simply installing the patch a second time, in this way the patch will restore backuped settings
- After installing the patch to optimize the GSM you can go into the hidden menu Testing typing the code *#*#4636#*#* and you have to make sure that the patch has set and otherwise you have to set: Phone info -> Set prefered network type -> GSM auto (PRL)
- The first time you will set new values in Testing menu after unlocking it the settings will be lost when you turn off the phone and to permanently save the settings in Testing menù after unlocking it you have to do a factory reset
- The patch should be installed at clean system before the first boot or you should to do a factory reset after installing it otherwise you could have com.android.phone FC and you could have problem to permanent set GSM auto (PRL) but if you can't do this you can try to install the patch on your running system and in case of problems you can uninstall it to restore your backuped settings
- If you installed the patch on your running system to automatically set the APNs need to follow this step: Settings -> More -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names -> Restore Defaults
- If you install the patch on clean system do not restore any previous system backup data
The patch should work on every CDMA Global Phone (certainly for most Verizon phones) and with it you will enable fully the GSM, for now it has been tested and it will most certainly work on these models:
- HTC Droid Incredible 2 Verizon
- HTC Droid DNA Verizon
- LG G2 VS980
- LG G3 LS990
- Motorola Droid 3 xt862
- Motorola Droid Bionic xt875
- Motorola Droid 4 xt894
- Motorola Droid Razr M xt905
- Motorola Droid Razr M xt907
- Motorola Droid Razr xt912
- Motorola Droid Razr Maxx xt912
- Motorola Droid Razr HD xt925 with xt926's Rom
- Motorola Droid Razr HD xt926
- Motorola Photon Q xt897
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon SCH-I535
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Duos Dual Sim China SCH-I939D
This patch will enable every GSM feature on every CDMA Rom. If your phone is locked you can not unlock it with this patch.
These phones are RIL locked and they can not be unlocked to use them in GSM in US, they can only been used in GSM outside US:
- Motorola Droid 4 xt894
- Motorola Droid Razr xt912
- Motorola Droid Razr Maxx xt912
Here more info.
These phones can be unlocked to use them in GSM in US and outside US:
- Motorola Droid 3 xt862 - Here the guide.
- Motorola Droid Bionic xt875 - Here the guide.
- Motorola Droid Razr M xt907 / Motorola Droid Razr HD xt926 - Here the guide.
How to request support:
- read this article to avoid redundant questions
- if you want to know if the patch is compatible with a particular phone, you must provide the file /system/build.prop
- if after installing the patch there are problems you must provide the files /system/build.prop and /system/build.prop.bak
- the required files can be sent as attachments via the site's contact form or they can be uploaded somewhere and linked in the comments
If someone successfully use this patch on some other model please leave a comment in this page, so I will be able to update the above list.